Friday, February 14, 2003

CD: Dan The Automator, "Wanna Buy A Monkey?"

So anyway the good folks at Dell are like anyone else when you have a complaint. First they actually try to help you, because chances are you're dumb and fixing the problem will only take a second. When it's something worse, they'll try to sound like they're helping but they really don't know what they're talking about. They will offer you a solution that might not work, but it pacifies you and keeps you off their tail. They sent me some replacement parts, but in a couple days I would have to call them back and complain again. So they tried Step 2 on me again and I was like "been there." That means I had to step it up by myself, and demand to see a manager. Of course I had to tell the operator that "it's not your fault, but I have to speak to them," because if you don't they either think you're hostile and need more psychologial support than technical, or you want to get them fired out of blind vengeance. If you keep bugging the manager--who will try only to reiterate all the bad solutions you've heard before--they WILL help you out, but only according to protocol. In this case I learned that the company's last resort is to give you a new hard drive. It has nothing to do with fixing a modem, but play along. The next day the hard drive came in the mail, the modem still didn't work, I called in again all formal like, and it was all wham, new computer, thank you ma'am. And to think I didn't learn anything while working at Burger King....

No comments: