Monday, November 18, 2002

CD: Beck, "Mellow Gold"

Some time ago I parked in a lot near my school, and a bum proceeded to ask me for money. I wasn't going to give him any, but I was late anyhow so I couldn't even pretend to listen to him for a minute...

Bum: "Excuse me sir, but I was wondering if I could have a few minutes of your time. My wife and I have fallen on hard..."

Me: "I'm late for class! I gotta go!"

Bum: "OH!!" You ALWAYS 'GOTTA GO!!'"

That memory is still burned into my mind. Last week, however, another bum "helped me park" in downtown Buffalo. I thought about karma, listened to his speech, got tired of it quickly, and just handed over two bucks. You can't get anything for a buck these days, so I gave him two. Well, you can get 20 minutes worth of calls anywhere in the U.S. for only 99 cents, but I assume he doesn't have a phone. So there, two dollars. Still not feeling very nice because I tried bribing a bum to get him to leave me alone, I put about a dollar's worth of change in the Salvation Army bucket at Wal-Mart the next day.

Karma is real! That very day I also returned the pop cans that were lying around my house, and the money it made me was equal to the amount I gave to the Army and the second panhandler. Just like in "Abbey Road"!


Jimmy: "Cheddar! Put down the gun! Where did you get that thing?!"

Cheddar: "It's my mom's!"

--"8 Mile"

No comments: