Sunday, September 08, 2002

CD: Smashing Pumpkins, "Reel Time Sessions"

Sometimes a person can do something that will make them smile. Smiling seems awfully goofy and awkward when you're by yourself, however. I once saw a show that asked the viewers if they've every really laughed when they were alone; no contact with the human race like television, radio, books, or people-watching in the mall is allowed. The man may be on to something. Nevertheless, I'm smiling because I got into my father's room (usually locked), installed the microphone to his computer, and made brand new sounds to temporarily replace the normal AOL defaults. Instead of "Welcome" I now ask him personally, "Hey, what's goin' on?" Instead of "Goodbye" when the phone line cuts him off, he hears me say "Hey, I'm trying to use the phone!" which is usually what he hears from the phone anyway. But my favorite is the famous "You've Got Mail", now my impersonation of the now-popular skit from "Crank Yankers" starring Special Ed. If you've never heard it, download it from Kazaa. My father is going to give me a piece of his mind this time tomorrow, but I'll be smiling then, too. Hey, at least his microphone's installed.

No comments: