Friday, September 20, 2002

CD: Oasis, "Be Here Now"

Oftentimes I will listen to music and just not "get it." I can read pages and pages of press about a band and think yes, I WILL risk fifteen dollars on this one ($15! Thank goodness for KaZaa, lucky broadband people!) listen to it once--usually while reading a newspaper or writing this bloody thing--and think "eh." This happened with my Sleater-Kinney album about two days ago. But then, at some future date I will put it in my car and the moon will be in just the right place and suddenly I will achieve musical oneness with the songs. I will feel the minute nuances in the vocals and the rhythm and melody and I will say to myself "This is genious. So THIS is how you're supposed to listen to it. They were right!" In a metaphorical sense, what I think I'm trying to say is that gardens are nice, but flowers in the desert are nicer. Is that understandable? I hope so. Thanks for the indulgence.

No comments: