Wednesday, September 11, 2002

CD: Money Mark, "Push the Button"

Tonight (actually "last night" because I'm writing this on September 10th) I was driving to the magical Truck Stop to meet my parents for dinner when I spotted quite a large fire burning in an empty field. It looked pretty cool. Then I thought about how it was strange nobody was watching the fire, especially when the house not too far from it seemed to be empty. Usually in this rural town you will see the smoke from controlled field fires, or illegal backyard burnings. Being uneducated in agriculture, I figured they were doing it to enrich the soil, and they were doing it in the dark so they could catch any stray sparks before they flamed up. Or something like that. Either way I didn't give it much more consideration. Then, driving my father back on the way home (my mother left early to watch "Emeril Live!" on the Food Network [?]) I asked him, "hey, did you see the fire on the way here?" Just as it came out of my mouth, we saw smoke, we saw fire trucks, we had to take a detour around a hill. Chances are, lightning caused the brush fire, and the whole field was ablaze. Had I known then what I knew now, I probably would have done something, even though it probably would have ended up happening anyway. And somehow, I think this sums up how everyone has looked back at the past year.

No comments: