Saturday, September 28, 2002

CD: Beatles, "Beatles For Sale"

I often don't do this... Okay, I do this a lot. I'd like to comment on the CD I'm listening to. "Beatles For Sale" reminds me of the Beatles story I heard where the original cover for the album had the band cutting up a bunch of toy dolls. The record company thought it was too risque and had the new covers pasted on the old albums, and if you can find any of those first printings, they're worth a lot of money. But more importantly, the title reminds me of a schoolmate I once had named Sal. Once in what I think was third grade, our class was coming back from a field trip from who knows where (do we ever remember what we did on those field trips? or just who threw up on the bus) when Sal saw a car parked in someone's driveway with the sign "For Sale." "HEY!" he yelled, "FOR SALE! THAT MEANS IT'S FOR ME! FOR SALE!" And I just thought that was the most intellectual pun I'd ever heard. So now, if I see "For Sale" signs anywhere I go, or even the title of this record, I think to myself, "Wow, the Beatles--for Sal!" What a lucky guy that Sal must be

-15 miles on the Erie Canal-

No comments: