Thursday, August 08, 2002

CD: various, "You Are Here Magazine Number 9"

Three day's ago a woman came into my work with her four-year-old son. Give or take a year. By far he is the most charming person I had ever met there. We had a short but very pleasant conversation before her mother shuffled him along.

Boy: Hi, what's your name?
F: I'm Fred.
Boy: Your name is Fred?
F: Yep. What's your name?
Boy: I'm Kevin.
F: Hi Kevin!
K: Do you have any pets?
F: I have some cats.
K: I have a fish. He's all mine and he's nobody else's.
F: Do you play with him?
K: And my sister has a hamster.
F: Do the hamster and the fish ever play together?
K: No, they're not near each other.
F: Oh, I see.
K: You have pet cats.
F: Does your fish have a name?
K: Yes.
F: ...
K: Do you know what kind of hamster she has?
F: No, what kind?
K: It's a GERBIL.
F: Ooh, neat!
Mother: Okay, Kevin, follow Mommy...

No comments: