Saturday, August 31, 2002

CD: Stevie Wonder, "Talking Book"

At my school, the age of the average student is 26, meaning that in most cases they have better things to do than sit around in a classroom. They usually want to retrain or get some sort of certification or are there for the fun of it, which I have seen but still don't believe. The school attempts to accomodate all of these things, but for anyone trying to get an education straight through will find a crooked path. In one of my classes, "Mentoring Seminar," the idea is that each student already has a job in our career and is working with someone with experience at the workplace to be their "mentor." This is true of 5 out of 12 students in the class, meaning the other 7, and the teacher, have no idea what to do next. And, of course, this prerequisite wasn't mentioned to anyone beforehand. If she drops the students (like myself) that don't meet the supposed "prerequisites," she has to cancel the class, which she can't do. And I need my gull durned credits! This will be an interesting month.

No comments: