Sunday, June 30, 2002

CD: Gorillaz, "Gorillaz"

I was going to wait until it was officially tomorrow to write tomorrow's blog, but I have several papers to produce by tomorrow morning so I better get this out of the way. My secret problem as a future educator is that I have major procrastination problems and poor study skills. When I was in high school I did not have to study, excepting the odd French test. (My ill will towards the French ought to be documented in a later entry.) But I actually TRIED to study. I would sit there with a book and some notes and after a half hour my mind would exclaim, "I can't do it! How do people do this?" Learning seemed to come pretty automatically to me and when it didn't, I accomplished what I had to through trial and error. This probably led to my current procrastinations. There was no effect on my grades--or even my level of knowledge--no matter what amount of time I relegated to study. So I would simply do everything at the last possible minute to save the greatest period of time to other interests. Interests like, um, idleness. So I could have started writing all of these papers three days ago, formulating hypotheses, rewriting and proofreading. Get a nice big A. OR, as I had in the past, I can start my papers at midnight the night before they're due, write whatever's on my mind, and get, on average, an A-. Or an A, who knows. Come to think of it, maybe that's what I should teach the kids: sometimes it's just not worth it. You know, Preparation for the Real World. Hey, a new episode of South Park starts in 10 minutes; maybe I'll watch that first before I settle in.

No comments: