Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Je me souviens


Joe and I decided to finally buck up and take a road trip. The phone conversation on Thursday went a little something like this:

Me: We're going to Canada. Montreal or Quebec. Your pick. I'd rather do Quebec City because it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site and I've never been.
Him: When?
Me: Tomorrow.
Him: What?? Why??
Me: We say we'll go to Vegas, we say we'll go to Canada and we never do it. We're going.
Him: I don't know. Let me think about it.
Me: You're being a real stick in the mud.
Him: But . . . how much will this cost me?
Me: I don't know, $300? I don't know. Let's go!
Him: I . . . I . . . All right I'll go. That's a long way. What if we went to Mikwaukee instead?
Me: What??
Him: What if we drive to Montreal and if we're not too tired we'll keep going to Quebec?
Me: That sounds good. Oh, and we're taking your car.

On Friday we were off. Joe is one hell of a trooper because he drove the entire way that night. I took 430 pictures of Quebec City and our side trip, the Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Basilica. There are seventy-two of them in the video above as well as the official song of the trip, Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Pop Shit." (You may prefer to play it on Mute.) Pause the video with 1:16 left to see a priceless face on the woman to your left.

Anyway, I highly recommend Quebec City. It was more like Europe than some parts of Europe I've visited. The old city walls are great, but so are the outdoor markets, the weather, the architecture, and the friendly people. Friendly French people, who would have known? Je ne sais pas!

Below is some random video, including:

A) A one-man band
B) A one-man idiot
C) A bilingual Groundskeeper Willie
D) The famous basilica chapel steps, which pilgrims climb up on their knees to be healed
E) A dangerously bad driver getting away (I guess you had to be there)



Pour le moment, au revoir

No comments: