Monday, August 23, 2004

Reversal of Fortunes

ESPN.com

Quick! New album purchase reviews!

Rating system:
2 thumbs up = muy bueno
1 thumb up = bonne musique
1 thumbs sideways = comme si comme ca
1 thumb down = es stupido
2 thumbs down = tres mal

Mudhoney, "March To Fuzz": Grunge is my bread and butter so 2 thumbs up from me. You probably won't be so happy with all the racket, so 1 thumb up for you.

The Best of Guided By Voices: I thought I'd get it because 1) I have "Isolation Drills" and really liked it and 2) they're breaking up this year. It was as expected, not too flashy. I was disappointed when I liked the songs from "Isolation Drills" best. 2 thumbs, sideways!

Distillers, "Coral Fang": Some compare the lead singer to Courtney Love and know I know why: they both fake it. There are some good parts but that last track (remember the secret track on "Nevermind") went from cool to "hey, this is just like the secret track on 'Nevermind'" real quick. A cross between Rancid and Queens of the Stone Age; why is that? 1 thumb down.

"Atlantic Jaxx Recordings: A Compilation:" Early stuff from the Basement Jaxx people, which means good but not great. Basic dance music feel with a pinch of experimentation. 2 thumbs sideways, hangin' out.

Smokey & Miho, "The 2 EPs:" Where have you been all these years? The chick from Cibo Matto and the guitarist from Beck's frickin' awesome band make Brazilian music. Beck's "Tropicalia" times ten, in number and in scope. 2 thumbs up and makin' breakfast.

Eels, "Daisies of the Galaxy:" This is why I buy most CDs used. I'm going to try this one again before I really judge it. Singer E seems to be in a halfway decent mood but that's when his music becomes less obtuse, obtuse meaning interesting. Most of it sounded like lullabies. 2 confused thumbs sideways.

Natalie Imbruglia, "Left of the Middle:" You know what I think about Natalie Imbruglia and you know what I'm going to give this. There are some real awkward parts ("bubbles of love"?) but that's part of its charm. Girlie music, yet, but a lot more inventive and loose than, say, Tracy Bonham from the same decade. Forgot who Tracy Bonham is, didn't you? 2 loser thumbs way up right after you leave the room.

Minor Threat, "First Demo Tape:" See how I go from Australian adult contemporary to D.C. hardcore? I should do this as a job. Get this for $4 at Dischord.com because that's what it's worth. Why? Eight songs, what, ten minutes? And the store charge me $7.99. Fight the Man, get it from the source, save money, listen and get inspired to fight the Man some more. Cucumber + Ginseng with talent and a six-pack of Jolt. 2 thumbs up.

Sleater-Kinney, "Call the Doctor:" I finally complete my S-K album collection. I think they're at their best now but this is when they took their turn from Bikini Kill knockoff to individual sound. Really thrilling sometimes. 1 thumb up and dancing.

Ozomatli, "Street Sings:" Ozomatli loves you for who you are. You don't have to impress it. Hey, they want you to jam with them! Their last albums were great but this is just so Catchy! Buy this and Jurassic 5's "Power in Numbers" and take the weekend off. To understand this band's sound, put salsa on your hamburgers. It's good, isn't it? 2 thumbs up Mt. Whitney.

Apples in Stereo, "Science Faire": Decent. It's their earliest stuff, and like the Atlantic Jaxx Comp. they need a little more cowbell. It's still cool to see pop music fermenting in the Elephant 6 lab. 2 thumbs sideways.

I also got a few CDs from Jeff. Even quicker review!
The Bens EP: 1 up
Ben Folds, "Sweet 16" EP: 1 up
"Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers": 2 up
Tonic, "Head on Straight": 2 sideways

No comments: