Tuesday, April 01, 2003

CD: Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Chronicle"

Mmm...swearing. It seems that swearing is funnier when you don't say the words. On The Osbournes in Britain, nothing is censored out, and the ratings are lower. Maybe people just like to think harsh words but not hear them. I also think that TV networks, et cetera do not want to offend anyone, even though everybody has heard those words a million times before and it probably doesn't shock anyone anymore. Then you get people that like to swear but don't want to say the words, so they create banal substitutes. "Oh Sugar" is something my father says a lot. I'm still waiting for the day when he's actually talking about sugar: "Oh Sugar! I forgot to buy some sugar!" Something like that.

Maybe that's a bad example. I have a pastor that says "Oh Dog" in conversation. I think that's the worst, especially since he has a dog. I wonder what she thinks about being cursed with? Poor Pebbles.

No comments: