Sunday, May 13, 2007

"The Famous Disappearing Goal Light"

[cover]

The other day Dave and I were hanging out at the influential SPoT Coffee when we discovered a stack of home-burned CDs. Why pass up a free CD? What we found was a great local artist, part Daniel Johnston, part Wesley Willis, and part Mark Russell. He has no website that I know of. The only information I have says that "John Bartles lives somewhere outside Buffalo, New York, and claims to have put together almost 50 albums between 1985 and 2005." If anyone out there knows who this guy is or has any more of his work, let me know.

In any case he fully encourages free copying. You may not like his voice or think his lyrics are corny, but if you've ever lived in Western New York I guarantee you at least one enjoyable listen.

[insert]

You can download the entire album or each track individually:

01 Life Without Art
Dedicated to longtime local broadcaster Art Wander

02 Fat Wives and Screaming Kids

03 Roger Crozier
Dedicated to the former Sabres goalie

04 When the Sun Goes Down in Cheektowaga

05 I Met Her At the Bills Game

06 Muskie Heaven

07 Bob Moses Parkway

08 Morton Feldman
I find it hard to believe Bartles was inspired by this guy, but I digress

09 Fat Old Guy Polka

10 As I Walk Down Elmwood Avenue

11 The Place of Great Evil.
In case you're wondering, it looks like this.



Tell me if the links break, and keep circulating the tapes!

1 comment:

Rushnerd said...

That was interesting, I might have to check that out. Its Rushnerd by the way, I to have a blog spot
( rushnerd.blogspot.com )
its been around since 2004 but no one goes there anymore.