Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wok With Tom


Here's something I tried tonight. It was actually quite good! Almost makes the $7 I spent on that wok at Ikea worth the money.

Green Monster Stir-Fry*


4 cups rice
Olive Oil
3 cups chopped chicken
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 can peas
4 tablespoons fancy dijon mustard
1 cup pickle juice

Cook the rice separately. Coat the bottom of a wok with olive oil and cook the chopped chicken. When chicken is nearly cooked, add everything else. The pickle juice (sounds gross, doesn't it?) will almost completely evaporate.

If I try this again I'll substitute green beans for the peas, use a little less pickle juice and add some chopped tomatoes. It was hearty and kind of tangy but not overpowering thanks to the white rice. Who knew mustard and pickles went so well together? I should mention that the pickle juice idea came from Rachel Ray; not that I spent a chunk of Spring Break watching morning television or anything.



*"Dave, what would you call this? It needs a name.
Dave: "'The Green Monster.'"
"Um, can you think of a better name?"
Dave: "No."

No comments: