Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Another old file I found on old discs:

Response to "We’re playing follow the leader at Canisius"
I must admit I am proud of my fellow student who took a risky stand and exposed a less attractive side of the general populous. The issue of being a bunch of followers is not something people like to think about in their paper plastic lives. I my self took a consideration of this subject, I want to respond to Rob’s question about what can be done?
I am not sure that the resolution is to cease being followers. I think that would be impossible. We are inherently followers, I cannot think of someone who did not follow or conform to anything throughout history. If someone could find me an authentic leader I would be grateful. Think of current leaders, like the president, he is influenced by a myriad of sources. He is under law, he works for the people, he is influenced by campaign contributors, interest groups, and his cabinet. This is not to mention how he might have been raised, he may be inclined since a young age to follow a certain way. A leader has to lead a group of followers. If being a leader meant people had to aimlessly follow and conform to me, and I ought to be against this, I would be performing a vast hypocrisy. Or if I was against following I would be contradicting myself. If I admitted being a follower and hated it, at least id be an honest fool. If the college took a serious look at its student body it should not be surprised that it is a gaggle of conformists and followers. What else would it be? No wonder the campus is full of followers following Hilfilger, nike, and barbies around, what else are they going to do? If I am going to be a follower, and what I follow is wrong, what then can I follow that would be good, or at least noble? The question should rather be whether the student body is following something worth following.
hi my name is Brian Emerson 832-[xxxx] here is my letter to the editor. Please publish me. Oh yea i wish to join the view pts staff. Thanks XBJE@WZRD.COMX

No comments: