Saturday, October 16, 2004

Choose or Lose - Headlines

Choose or Lose - Headlines

Though I don't approve of a lot of what the Choose or Lose people do--other than registering voters, of course, but I think they have other agendas--this article says something a bit interesting. I downloaded this interview and what shocks me is this is so shocking. I watched Crossfire once and couldn't stand it. I've watched the Daily Show almost every episode since it started because of its quick wit. If Crossfire were on Comedy Central it would be worth seeing. But you know what? If you put the Daily Show on CNN you would actually learn something from it. It is supposed to be a humorous supplement to news you already know. News, however, doesn't give you "information" any more. I have to get my American news from Canadian television because they will tell me something about the world. For comparison, watch a half-hour of Headline News and count the number of products they advertise beside the commercials: movies, celebrity interviews, cars, computers, sports teams. Politics cannot be covered unless there is an equal time rebuttal: hundreds of thousands protested X, and here also are ten people that disagree. News is not alone in the commercialization of the media: I could write also about the perpetuation of racial stereotypes and MTV. Today however, something bled through. I'm ranting like a run-of-the-mill blogger now, aren't I?

No comments: